Monday 30 April 2012

Strawberry Banana Muffins




When I was a kid, we found out that I was allergic to strawberries. I was incredibly sad when we first made the discovery. My mom had brought home a giant box full of them, and I ate about half of it. To myself. I'm not even ashamed to admit it. Anyhow, later that night, I was suddenly hit with a horrible wave of...itchiness. I was covered in welts, and the worst was the bottoms of my feet. I know it sounds weird, but an intense itch of your feet bottoms is pretty horrible, I remember my mom putting my in a cold bath, rubbing them with calamine lotion, everything she could to get it to stop. Not fun. I spend the next 10 summers watching in jealousy as everyone around me snacked on the beautiful red berries, longing for one. Every so often I'd have one to see what would happen, and it was always the same.

One summer, I just couldn't take it anymore, and I ate 10 in one sitting. And nothing happened. I had some more, just to check. Nothing. I feasted for a whole day on strawberries, and it seemed my allergy had gone. I made strawberry pie, ate strawberry jam, drank strawberry smoothies, and it seemed that I had grown out of the allergy. Horray!

These muffins are deliciously moist, fresh, and of course filled to the brim with strawberries.


Strawberry Banana Muffins


2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 ripe, mashed bananas (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup water
1  1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees ferenheit
  • Mix together flour, baking soda and salt
  • Add remainder of indredients, blend well
  • Put muffin papers in a muffin tin and fill about 2/3 full
  • Bake for 18 minutes or until lightly browned
  • Serve warm with a bit of butter



-Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment