Wednesday 2 May 2012

Raspberry maple cream crepe cake


I really love mothers day.  I have some really awesome kids that make me proud to be a mom. I know it's still a couple of weeks away, but once May hits, I start thinking about my mom a bit more that I do the rest of the year. Our mom passed away several years ago- I was a young mother myself, Jessica was still a teenager.  And the memories of her are bittersweet. Bitter, because they're only memories, but sweet because our mom was awesome. Seriously awesome. I know I'm a tad biased, but trust me she rocked! This is a picture of her.

See? Can't you tell just by looking? That face just screams of wonderfulness. (is that a word?)


Anyway, one of my favourite memories of my mom is eating crepes and playing one of our favourite board games, Mensch argere dich nicht. (It's a German game that is really alot like "Sorry!", but since the game isn't all kiddie, you can still feel like a grown-up playing it). It was a great way to procrastinate in the morning.

So, with mothers day "crepe-ing" up on us (get it?), I wanted to make some crepes, that my mom would've loved. But who doesn't also love cake? For breakfast? Made of breakfast? But it's still actually breakfast.....uh....anyway.....
looks yum, right?



well, my little guy thinks it looks good. He's so patient.


Just look at the gooey yummy inside.
You can make it too! You could even share it with your mom, and play board games! (or eat it yourself, which I also highly recommend.)

Here's how:


Crepes:
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp. butter (melted)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. sugar
3/4 cup flour
pinch of salt

Beat together eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and sugar until smooth. Add flour and salt. Continue to beat until smooth. 
Lightly spray your pan with olive oil, and pour batter into frying pan. (I used about 1/4 cup of batter for a 9" pan.) Slowly rotate pan allowing batter to spread evenly on bottom of pan.  Let cook about 2 minutes, (med. heat) until crepe can be flipped without ripping.  Cook opposite side about 30 seconds. Repeat until they're all done. I got about 10 crepes, but it depends on what size pan you use. 

WARNING!: You're kitchen will smell like freshly baked waffle cones!!! (not a bad thing)

Raspberry filling:
I cheated and used a jar of raspberry pie filling.
Spread a layer of filling on every 3 crepes.


Maple cream "frosting"

1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. 100% pure maple syrup

Combine all 3 ingredients in bowl and beat with hand mixer until smooth and creamy, but not yet forming peaks. 
* I really prefer a hand mixer for whipping cream. I feel like I have more control over the consistency. 

Top with fresh raspberries and drizzle with maple syrup.

Enjoy!



Okay, so the thing is I really like pure maple syrup. But you can do what you want. If you don't like as much, or any, add less, or none. Maybe you don't care for raspberries...use peaches, blueberries, or heck, beets if you want. What you like is up to you.

-Leah

1 comment:

  1. awesome. GOSH!! that picture of your gorgeous mother (who I miss too!) looks a lot like you! She's b.e.a.utiful. like you.

    ReplyDelete