Thursday 17 May 2012

Ice Cream Cake




I have a confession to make....I'm not really a big fan of cake. Sure, I like it. Of course I'll eat a piece. Obviously I enjoy making it...but I would much rather have a pie. Or ice cream. Or (wait for it) ice cream IN cake. No, INSTEAD of cake, but still in cake form.

Yesterday was my hubby's birthday, and he asked for an ice cream cake instead of regular. I planned to pick one up from DQ (the middle fudge/cookie filling? Come on!) But he said "You know, if you made it yourself, you could use Turtle ice cream, wink wink nudge nudge".

I was a little apprehensive, having never made one before, but people, this was probably on my top 5 list of easiest desserts I have ever made. Just a handful of ingredients and about 10 minutes to put together, let's all get together and have one big giant un-birthday party and have some ice cream. Cake, of course.


Ice Cream Cake


2- 2 litre tubs of ice cream, your flavour (I used turtle and peanut butter rolo)
1 box of oreos (or enough crumbs to make a crust)
3 tbsp melted butter
2 cups coolwhip or 1 cup whipping cream, divided
1 cup chocolate fudge (like the ice cream topping kind)

  • Leave the ice cream on the counter for about an hour until it's nice and soft
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Crush up your oreos and combine with melted butter
  • Press into bottom of 9 inch spring form pan
  • Bake for 5 minutes
  • Dump one flavour of ice cream onto crush and spread it/mush it down until it's nice and flat
  • Spread cool whip on top of the ice cream, reserving one cup for the top (if using real cream, whip it until soft peaks form and then spread on top of ice cream
  • Pour your hot fudge on top of that
  • Dump the next flavour of ice cream on top, and spead until it's nice and flat again.
  • Freeze for at least 8 hours
  • Put reserved cool whip into a piping bag with a star or flower tip and pipe along the top.
  • Keep in freezer until ready to serve (obviously). Remove side of spring form pan.





*This can be made a few days in advance

-Jessica

2 comments:

  1. sounds great! My mom made icecream cake (1/2 this type of icecream cake, 1/2 real cake on the top of it) for my brother's bday every year. Also... You can buy a bag of fudge from DQ. it's like 9-10 bucks. but it's pretty big. and delish. fyi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks amazing! Good job!

    ReplyDelete