Thursday 10 May 2012

Ginger-Pear Quick Bread




Bread. Ha. As long as you call it bread, it counts as breakfast, right? To be fair, it does contain flour, a main component to bread. And it's baked in a loaf pan. But I definitely wouldn't toast this or make a sandwich out of it. It's pretty much an excuse to eat cake for breakfast.

Fair enough, though, there are pears in it.  Fruit for breakfast. Justified.

My middle guy is the herbivore of the family. His favourite snacks include cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, and pears. The other he asked for a snack. I said he could have whatever he could find in the fruit bowl. I came to check on him about 10 minutes later, and there he was, polishing off a pear. "Good choice", I said to him. Then I looked in the fruit bowl to find a bunch of bananas and some avocados. No pears. I knew there were 3 earlier, and I hadn't eaten any. "Did you eat ALL of them?"
"Yep, mum, I did! Did you know pears are my favourite?" Well, I do now.

We went to Costco and bought the biggest bag we could find. I grabbed 3 before he devoured them all so I could make this "bread". No surprise, he had about 4 slices for breakfast this morning. (This kid could eat a large pizza and still be hungry.) If you have any pear lovers at your house, you should probably make this for them.

Ginger-Pear Quick Bread

3 large, soft pears, peeled, cored and chopped (I used D'Anjou pears)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup oil
1  1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder

  • Combine chopped pears with sugar and spices; set aside.
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees ferenheit.
  • Grease and flour a standard loaf pan (or a few minis)
  • Beat eggs, combine with vanilla and oil and mix with the pears.
  • In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix in with the wet.
  • Pour into the loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.









-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment