Friday 3 February 2012

Chocolate Lime Cupcakes with Lime Cream Cheese Frosting



Yesterday was Groudhog Day. Maybe you've heard of it. Or maybe you've heard of the movie. I love me some Bill Murray, especially in Groundhog Day. And since it's (to my knowledge) the only movie based on this holiday, I get to watch it once a year. Well, yesterday, Punxsutawney Phil predicted 6 more weeks of winter for those in the US of A. Suckers. His Canadian cousin, Wiarton Willie said that those of us in the Great (not so white) North will be getting an early spring. Meaning me. Ha. And so far, it's been true. February 3rd and it was so warm and sunny I had my living room window open all day.

So, naturally, I had to make something spring-y. Had to. Plus. limes were on sale and I had 8 plump and juicy ones sitting in my fruit bowl.

Chocolate and lime is not a typical flavour combo, but I really don't know why. Alone they're great, but together, they're amazing. Something about the richness of the chocolate and the tart but soft lime flavour really works. Is you're with me here in Canada, make some to celebrate early spring. If not, you need something to drown your sorrows in anyway.


I found this chocolate cake recipe a few years ago online somewhere. I don't remember where, but it's my favourite cake recipe. I adapted it a little for this.

Chocolate Lime Cupcakes
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1  3/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup cocoa
  • 1  1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1  1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 3 tsp vanilla
  • zest of one large lime
  • 1 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Stir together dry ingredients.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Whisk for about 2 mins (or use hand-held beaters or stand mixer).
Mix in lime zest.
Stir in boiling water.
Pour into cupcake liners (I used medium, but you could use mini or large as well).
Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Juice of one lime
  • Zest from 3 limes
Put all ingredients into stand mixer and beat until smooth and creamy. You can use hand held beaters too. Put in piping bag with your favourite cupcake tip and pipe on cupcakes.

-Jessica


2 comments:

  1. I made these as one of two cupcakes for my daughter's first birthday. They were my favourite of the two. I love lime!

    ReplyDelete