Monday 30 January 2012

Skor Caramel Brownies



Sunday night dinners have been a thing with Matt's family ever since we got married 6 years ago. I truly love these dinners, for the following reasons:
 a) I love Matt's family. They are the amazing in-laws to me and grandparents to my boys. They are just  plain fun.
b) I don't have to cook (because it's no secret that I would much rather bake than cook).
c) My mom-in-law is a fab cook. Really truly great.
d) I am in charge of dessert. I try not to repeat, unless by request, so it means I try new things out once a week. Plus, I take it out of my house and to someone else's, which helps my self control. Slightly.

This week, the only request was for chocolate cake from my 5 year old. I was going to, too, but when I looked I discovered that we were out of powdered sugar, and you can't very well have a decent chocolate cake without frosting. In keeping with the chocolate theme (I wasn't about to go and break any hearts, now), I decided on brownies instead. Ooey-gooey, slap-in-the-face delicious. These have a layer of creamy caramel and skor bits sandwiched between fudge-like chocolate chip brownies. Not a bad end to the weekend.

Skor Caramel Brownies

  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1  1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup pre-made caramel sauce
  • 3/4 cup Skor baking bits

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees ferenheit.
-Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl.
-Add sugar and vanilla and stir until smooth.
-Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
-Stir together flour, cocoa and salt.
-Add to butter mixture.
-Fold in chocolate chips until combined.
-Spray a 9x9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
-Pour in half of the brownie batter.
-Pour on caramel and sprinkle Skor bits on top.
-Top with remaning brownie batter and bake for 35-45 minutes.
-Let sit for at least 15 minutes before digging in.
-Serve with vanilla ice cream or a cold glass of milk!

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment