Wednesday 4 January 2012

Lemon Loaf


Is there anything better than lemons? I dare you to find another fruit that tastes just as good with salmon as it does caesar salad. Or one that is refreshing enough to make into a drink to cool you down on a hot day, and yet is just as delicious in a pie, a cake, or a bread? Good luck. I think that lemon takes the cake. Or in this case, the loaf. A good friend of mine gave me this fabulous recipe.

One the holidays are over, I am completely done with winter and impatiently awaiting the spring. Well, summer really, but I'll take what I can get. I can't wait for the cherry blossoms, daffodils, blue sky...the list goes on. For me, lemons and spring go hand in hand. I think it must be something to do with the fresh yellow colour. Or maybe the association comes from a lifetime or spring cleaning with lemon scented cleaning products. Either way, bring it on. I am waiting.


Easy Lemon Loaf

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all ingredients up to salt in a mixer or with beaters.
- Generously grease 2 loaf pans with butter or non-stick spray.
- Pour mixture into pans and bake for 45-60 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- Immediately after removing from oven, combine 1/2 cup of sugar and lemon juice, poke holes in the loaf with a toothpick, and pour lemon sauce over loaves.
- Leave in pan to cool for about 15 minutes before removing.

Eat it and think of spring!

1 comment: