Friday 9 March 2012

Perfect Cinnamon Buns



Today is my Father-in-law's birthday. He is really the best dad-in-law a girl could ask for. He treats me like one of his own, and he is one of the best Grandpas (they call him Papa) there is. Plus, we see eye to eye when it comes to dessert. He would much rather have a giant batch of cinnamon buns than a birthday cake. I hear him on that. I prefer making cinnamon buns, too. It's a win win. Happy Birthday Dad number 2!


These cinnamon buns are bar non the best I have ever had. The recipe was given to me by a good friend who got it from her sister. No idea where it came from, but if I ever find out, I'll put it on here.


Perfect Cinnamon Buns

DOUGH:

  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 4  1/2 tsp quick-rise yeast
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1  4-serving package of vanilla pudding mix
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 6 cups flour

FILLING:
  • 2 cups brown sugar combined with 4 tsp cinnamon
  • butter for spreading

FROSTING:
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp milk
DIRECTIONS:

Combine water, yeast and sugar, stirring until dissolved.
Prepare pudding according to packaging.
Combine pudding, butter, eggs, and salt.
Add yeast mixture.
Gradually add flour and knead until smooth. (You may need a little extra).
Grease a big bowl, and place dough in. Let rise for about 45 minutes.
Once risen, roll out to a 34"x21" rectangle. 
Spread butter all over the dough and then sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.


Roll as tightly as you can, and cut intop rolls. I got 18, but you may get more or less, depending on how big you like them, and how big your rectangle got.

I like to score mine across the top so I can see exactly where I'm going to cut.


Grease 2 cookie sheets (with sides) put the buns on.
Cover with a tea towel and let rise again for about 1 hour.


Before rising.


After rising.


I bet you can almost smell them from there.



Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes. When you take them out, they will look like this.




After they've cooled a bit, you can frost them. Combine all the frosting ingredients and mix in a stand mixer or with hand held beaters. Mix and mix and mix until there are no lumps. Spread generously on the cinnamon buns. Feel free to lick the spoon. And the bowl. And your fingers. 




-Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment