Tuesday 27 March 2012

Nutella Cookies



Summer 1997. I can't even believe how long ago that was. My fantastic friend Rachel and I were going to visit some of her family for a weekend, and we were getting reading for the "road trip". It was only an hour, but when you're 11, that's a big deal. Rach's mom took us to the grocery store to get some car snacks, and we pooled our money and got a honkin' jar of nutella. That was a pretty great hour, just us in the back seat with two spoons and the perfect snack. (Do you remember this Rachel?)

I think that's the day my love affair with nutella really started. I owe you big, Rachel. Big.




Lineup of ingredients. I didn't realize until now that my baking powder was on the French side. For future reference, "Poudre a pate magic" means "Magic baking powder".



Don't you just love brown sugar? If Candyland was a real place, there would be a beach with brown sugar sand. People could float around in giant life savers in a sea of blueberry punch.


 
.







If you happen to have a bucket of neapolitan ice cream in your freezer because it was on sale, you can do this. It will be worth it. Spread between two cookies and freeze for 5 minutes.


If you just have vanilla, it still works. In fact, I think the vanilla was the best one.




Nutella Cookies


1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup dutch-process cocoa (I used regular high-quality cocoa)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon hazelnut extract (couldn't find it, I just doubled the vanilla)
1/3 cup Nutella
1/3 cup milk
  • Mix together your flour and cocoa. Set aside.
  • Dump the beautiful sugars and butter in your kitchen aid and mix until smooth.
  • Add the extracts, and beat again. Then the nutella.
  • Keep the mixer running and add half the flour mixture.
  • Add the milk.
  • Add the second half of flour mix.
  • Mix it completely and refridgerate for at least 15 minutes.
  • Preheat your oven to 325.
  • Roll dough into balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
  • Using a glass, press lightly on each cookie to flatten slightly.
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly crackly on top. Cook on wire rack.

-Jessica


2 comments:

  1. heck I remember! And you can blame my love for Nutella on your sister in law and mother in law! Every time I had sleepovers with Em I'd have nutella. They always had it in their house, we never did. I totally remember that trip. I also remember sneaking out to the van to have some when we were there the next day too. We kept being followed by my cousins, we thought we were so stealth. haha.
    These look yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun times! I think for us it was go big or go home. Remember the giant pack or popsicles? Your mom must have loved us.

    ReplyDelete