Wednesday 22 August 2012

Poutine




It's been a few weeks! I was off on a lovely little family vacation to Alberta for a family reunion on my hubby's side. Then, we came home and moved. Right away. It's been busy busy busy! It's been a really fun summer, but let me tell you, I am very happy to turn in the camp stove and hot dog roasters and get back to a real kitchen! My new kicthen, which has a gas stove and a convection oven. I know. I can't keep out of there.

 Last week, just after we got settled, Leah and her brood came for a visit so we decided to make an awesome "meal" for the kids. And by the kids I mean we made it for us, and then felt bad and were forced to share.

We are Canadian. I think that may have been mentioned before. There don't seem to be a lot of strictly Canadian foods, seeing as how our great country is relatively new, and really a great  big melting pot. I love it, it's what makes our country so diverse and interesting.

However, there is one food that is pretty much to die for, and 100% Canadian baby. French Canadian. This dish originated in Quebec, and made it's way across the country. It's called Poutine. For those of you south of the border, this is pronounced "Pooh-teen". And it's amazing.

Traditionally, poutine is made with cheese curd, but we used mozzarella instead for 2 reasons. I had some in my fridge already, and cheese curd is hard to find and can be pricey.

You can use whatever cheese you like, depending on how strong of a cheese flavour you want. I think the best are of course the traditional curd, mozzarealla, monterey jack, havarti, or pepperjack.
Try to invite some people over when you make this, because otherwise you might be tempted to eat it all by yourself, which you might regret later. Maybe.

Poutine

6 russet potatoes (I think these make the best fries)
2 tsp fresh minced garlic
salt, to taste
3 tbsp olive oil
1 pack of brown gravy mix
1-2 cups shredded mozzarealla cheese

  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  • Wash potatoes and slice into french fry sized strips
  • Put in a large stainless steel bowl and toss with garlic, salt and olive oil
  • Spread on a parchement paper lined baking sheet and pop in oven for 15-20 minutes, until soft and slightly crispy. (I do them less crispy than I would if I were just going to eat them by themself, you will want these ones to be a bit softer, because you eat this with a fork.)
  • In the meantime, while they're in the oven, prepare your gravy according to the instructions on the packet.
  • Grate your cheese.
  • When the fries are done, put them immediately into individual bowls, smother in gravy, and top with cheese. It will melt as you eat it.
  • Try to share, if you have it in you.


 
 
-Jessica and Leah





No comments:

Post a Comment