Monday 18 June 2012

Lemon Butter Salmon with Spicy Potatoes




I totally got married under false pretenses. I thought I was marrying a terrible cook. On our first date, he couldn't even tell the difference between lettuce and cabbage. I thought I was doomed to a lifetime of cooking myself, or tacos (without lettuce).

Then one morning he made me an omlette. It was amazing. Way better than I could have done in a million years (eggs and I aren't friends). I though, ok, not a great cook, but breakfast he can do.

Then one night, he announced that he was making dinner. He made peppercorn steak with foil-grilled yams, peppers and red onions. Who was this man?

Then one day, he said he wanted to make salmon. Not being a seafood fan, I told him fine but I wasn't going to eat it. Well, let me tell you, that man converted me. He made the best, moistest salmon I have ever had. I don't know what's gotten into him, but I really hope it stays there.


Lemon Butter Salmon with Spicy Potatoes

  • 4 center cut salmon fillets
  • 1-2 lbs baby red potatoes
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 head garlic, minced and divided
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 1  1/2 tsp roasted red pepper flakes (more or less, depending on how spicy you like)
  • juice from 2 lemons
  • salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Chop up your potatoes into bite sized pieces and put in large bowl.
Add olive oil, half (or so) of the garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper (to taste).
Line a baking sheet with tin foil and dump potatoes on.
Bake for about 45 minutes or until soft and crispy.
Once your potatoes are in the oven, line another baking sheet with parchment paper.
Put your salmon fillets on, skin side down.
Salt and pepper your salmon.
Melt the butter and add the rest of the minced garlic.
Using a brush (if you have one) brush garlic butter on top of the fish.
Squeeze lemon juice on top of that, using 1/2 a lemon per fillet.
When the potatoes only have 15 or 20 minutes to go, put your fish in. Salmon is a fatty fish and has a short cooking time.
Remove, and enjoy!




-Jessica



No comments:

Post a Comment